Index slows down insertion

We need to create an index to facilitate queries. However, the new index slows down the data write. What to tune on the TimescaleDB side or PostgreSQL to address this?

TimescaleDB: 2.15.2
PostgreSQL: 16.3

The table looks like

\dS+ table_metrics

Table "table_metrics"
   Column       |           Type           | Collation | Nullable | Default | Storage | Compression | Stats target | Description

--------------------±-------------------------±----------±---------±--------±--------±------------±-------------±------------
ts | timestamp with time zone | | not null | | plain | | |
metric_id | bigint | | not null | | plain | | |
device_id | bigint | | | | plain | | |
value | double precision | | | | plain | | |
Indexes:
“table_metrics_pkey” PRIMARY KEY, btree (ts, metric_id)
“table_metrics_ts_idx” btree (ts DESC)
Triggers:
ts_cagg_invalidation_trigger AFTER INSERT OR DELETE OR UPDATE ON table_metrics FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE FUNCTION _timescaledb_functions.continuous_agg_invalidation_trigger(‘20’)
ts_insert_blocker BEFORE INSERT ON table_60 FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE FUNCTION _timescaledb_functions.insert_blocker()
Child tables: _hyper_20_32_chunk,
_hyper_20_39_chunk,
_hyper_20_45_chunk
Access method: heap

We need to add an index on the metric_id column to accommodate the queries like select * from table_metric WHERE metric_id = 6000 AND ts > NOW() - INTERVAL ‘3 hours’;

When you say Slow down", can you share exactly what’s the performance comparison you have as a baseline?

More specifically, the elapsed time of inserts would increase from 5 seconds in average to 200 seconds after some time. Not sure what had caused this.

the same situation happened if I change the primary key column order from (ts, metric_id) to metrics_id, ts). This combination will satisfy queries but will have the same effect as the new index on the metric_id column

I think it has something to do with the index. I checked the wait events are DataFileRead, IO.

Any suggestions?